Sunday, November 16, 2008

Emma Jane Hubbard McBride (continued)

(The following was taken from a history written by Emma Jane Hubbard McBride and then recorded in the personal and ancestral history of Willard Carlos McBride. In an earlier blog, I recorded what Emma had written about marrying Don Carlos McBride. This is a continuation of that story.)

June 6, 1914, we (Emma and Don) boarded the train to go to Salt Lake City, Utah to be married in the Salt Lake Temple. We were married June 11, 1914. We had a lovely trip. We visited many places of interest in the city, went out to Sandy and visited Don's brother, Bert, and family and when we started home came by Santaquinn, Utah, Don's birthplace and visited his uncles, Jim and Ed Clark.

We also went to Goshen and visited my mother's sister, Ellen Steele. Fannie was a little girl, five years old. She was with us. We enjoyed her cute sayings and actions so much. We were always sorry that we did not take Mildred, but we didn't know enough to do so, I suppose.

In July we returned home on the train one warm afternnon. Donald and Mildred, (Don's other two children) were at the station to meet us. We borrowed a buggy and came to Don's home. It was a very happy family. That night we bought bread and milked the cow, had some supper, cleaned up the dishes.

The children all helped to do everything, and we always worked congenially and happy together ever after. Grandma Nuttall (La Preal's mother--LaPreal was Don McBride's first wife) and her girls came in the evening for a while and welcomed me in the family. They were always nice to me, which I appreciated very much, for they might have made things very unpleasant for me had they wanted to do so.

That first night before we went to bed, Fannie was sitting on her Papa's lap, and I was fixing things and getting the beds ready. Fannie said, "Papa, let's always stay home now and never, never move again." Her papa told her with tears in his eyes that Aunt Emma (the name Fannie, Mildred, and Donald called me) was going to make a home for us and if they would be nice, she would always stay and do the best she could to be a mother in the home.

I must say that they all did everything they could to do their part. I never can express how glad I am I have had the opportunity of being blest with them as children. They have expressed their love for me. Mildred gave me a present when she first earned her money and gave a little message like this: "To the noblest and best mother I ever knew."

No comments: