Wednesday, August 20, 2008

James Andrew McBride and Mary Isabelle Bryce

James Andrew McBride was born December 11, 1866 at Santaquin, Utah to James Andrew McBride and Elizabeth Clark. As a young boy James Andrew worked with his father laying railroad tracks in the surrounding territory. While he, his father, and others were working in the McGaffy mountains in New Mexico, he was captured by Indians. He was later released because of the high regard his captors had for his father.

Mary Isabelle Bryce was born July 11, 1870 in the Pine Valley, Utah. The daughter of Ebenezer and Mary Ann Park Bryce, she came to the Gila Valley, Arizona with her parents in 1882 when she was twelve years old. They settled first in Pima, staying there until 1884 when they moved across the river to Bryce.

James and Mary married October 16, 1890 in Pima, Arizona. While in Pima, James farmed and tended a vineyard and orchard. He also served as Deputy Sheriff. In 1904, they moved their family to South Bisbee, called "Tin Town." Here, they had a dairy farm, selling milk to the people of Bisbee. Later, they moved to a ranch five miles east of Don Luie and homesteaded the land, (five miles from the Mexican border). They built a house there, using a tent for the kitchen, two bedrooms, one for the parents and one for the children, who slept on the floor.

As James came home from work early one morning after a snow, his horse fell,. landing on him and breaking his leg in two places. This accident caused him to suffer much the rest of his life. As a result, he had to wear a built-up shoe and limped when he walked. He was unable to continue working at the mine, so he and his family ran a small store.

They bought a farm in Bryce and returned to the Gila Valley. Here, he raised cattle and farmed. James served as Bishop of the Bryce Ward, serving in this calling for six or seven years. Mary served as a counselor in the Relief Society.

Along with others, they lost their farm during the Great Depression and moved to Safford, Arizona, where James worked for the government. After his parents passed asway, they moved back to Pima and lived in his parents' home. They enjoyed working there until James passed away on January 23, 1940, in Pima, at the age of 74 years.

Mary passed away December 1, 1957 in Thatcher, Arizona. Both James and Mary served faithfully in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints throughout their lives. They were buried side by side in the Pima Cemetery.

No comments: